Monday, June 22, 2015

Crate Training Day 1

After yesterday's fiasco with the pups; decided to try crate training today. Actually we used it last night and for the first time in a week we both were able to sleep through the night. No puppies licking my sleep apnea machine at 3pm made me a happier camper. The roomie was happier too because she didn't have to take them out in the middle of the night and they both slept past 5. All in all a good thing.

I've never been on for crates. I think they are more about the humans than about dogs and after our first day using one, I'm still in agreement. What I am learning is I'm the one who needs trained on how to care and meet their needs.

The plus side of the crate was they really didn't mind it all. They played or slept. The crate gave me time to work, talk a walk and make dinner without having to watch them. After a week of feeling frustrated by the house training it was nice to get a break from being "on dog duty" the whole day.

I tried to follow the New Skete training schedule for the day. It was tougher than it looked and by mid day I had made some adjustments. This morning I was trying to make my breakfast then get them outside. By lunch I made and ate mine before I took them out of the crate. And even though I know what to do I backslide this evening. Instead of taking them outside once they'd eaten I let them play. Which meant they went in the house again. I read about that again tonight and need to get rid of the smell from previous accidents. Dogs have a smell sense and will continue to use the house because they have before...so tomorrow those smells are going to be gone. Tomorrow I will also reinforce with treats; another recommendation from a puppy book.

So what is today's take away?

1. I've got to be present, attentive and show them what the rules/expectations are in order to increase the chances for success.
2. While I am not an aggressive/assertive person I have to be with the dogs if they are going to learn. I find this amusing because my lack of assertiveness was mentioned in my work evaluation. Universe is trying to tell me something.
3. Keep at it. Keep refining it. Eventually it will all click.
4. Today was a whole lot better than yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment